STATE OF THE ART AND PROBLEMS OF DEFEAT OF LOW, SLOW AND SMALL UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLES
Keywords:LSS UAV, classification, threats, advantages, weak sides, countermeasures.
AbstractIn the article considered one of the most intensive developing threat for civilian and military spheres – hostile use of Low, Slow and Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (LSS UAVs). The classification of the LSS UAVs is given. World tendencies of hostile use of LSS UAVs – attack and ISR – are considered. Three categories of existing threats of using LSS UAVs are distinguished. Special attention is paid to the third category of threats, the main feature of which is a high level of training of the operator that can independently assemble Plug and Fly model using COTS or military technologies and finalizing its hardware and software tools for specific tasks. Main advantages and weak sides of LSS UAVs is distinguished. Determined that the best strategy is therefore to employ a hierarchy of countermeasures including regulatory (prevention, deterrence, denial), passive (detection and interruption) and active countermeasures (destruction). State of the art and current problems of possible countermeasures is analyzed. The most promising LSS UAVs` defeat technologies is described. Most attention is paid to specialized sensors and modern active defeat means such as programmable air burst munition (PABM) and high energy laser (HEL) systems.
1. Commercial unmanned aerial vehicle market analysis – industry trends, companies and what you should know [Електронний ресурс]. Режим доступу: http://www.businessinsider.com/commercial-uav-market-analysis-2017-8.2. Baker B. Small bombs, big effect: arming small UAVs with guided weapons [Електронний ресурс] / B. Baker // Air Force Technology. Режим доступу: https://www.airforce-technology.com.
3. Munday R. GBAD Sensor Mix Optimisation Study for Emerging Threats : Study Report / NATO Industrial Advisory Group (Study Group 188). – NATO, 2015. – 237 p.
4. Valavanis K. P. Handbook of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles / K. P. Valavanis, G. J. Vachtsevanos. –London: Springer, 2015. – 3022 p.
5. Floreano D. Science, technology and the future of small autonomous drones / D. Floreano, R. J. Wood // Nature. – 2015. – Vol. 521. – p. 460–466.
6. Miasnikov, E. Threat of Terrorism Using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Technical Aspects. [Study Report]. Moscow: Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 2005. 26 p.
7. Munday R. Engagement of Low, Slow and Small Aerial Targets by GBAD : Study Report / NATO Industrial Advisory Group (Study Group 170). – NATO, 2013. – 333 p.
8. Delivery drone [Електронний ресурс]. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Режим доступу: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delivery_drone.
9. UAV-related events [Електронний ресурс]. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Режим доступу: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAV-related_events.
10. Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (drones) Mid-Air Collision Study : Study Report / Crown copyright.London, 2016. – 18 p.
11. Abbot C. Hostile Drones: the Hostile Use of Drones by Non-State Actors against British Targets : Study Report / Remote Control Project. –London, 2016. – 20 p.
12. Warrick J. Use of Weaponized Drones by ISIS Spurs Terrorism Fears [Електронний ресурс] / J. Warrick // The Washington post. Режим доступу: https://www.washingtonpost.com.
13. Non-State Actors with Drone Capabilities [Електронний ресурс]. World of Drones. Режим доступу: https://www.newamerica.org/in-depth/world-of-drones/5-non-state-actors-drone-capabilities/.
14. Sander A. Game of Drones ; Wargame Report / Centre for a New American Security. –Washington, 2016. – 23 p.
15. Unmanned Aerial System Threats: Exploring Security Implications and Mitigation Technologies ; Hearing Report /U.S. Government Publishing Office. –Washington, 2015. –46 p.
16. No Fly Zone Database as extracted 4/22/2017 from DJI Go4 apps [Електронний ресурс]. GitHub. Режим доступу: https://github.com/MAVProxyUser/dji.nfzdb/blob/master/dji.nfzdb.csv.
17. Wallace R. J. Examining Unmanned Aerial System Threats & Defenses: A Conceptual Analysis / R. J. Wallace, J. M. Loffi // International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace. – 2015. – Vol. 2(4). – P. 1–33.
18. Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) Annex Handbook – 2017 [Електронний ресурс].Brno: MTCR, 2017. – 352 p. Режим доступу: http://mtcr.info/wordpress/ wp-content/uploads/2017/10/MTCR-Handbook-2017-INDEXED-FINAL-Digital.pdf.
19. Ravich T. M. The Integration of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles into the National Airspace / T. M. Ravich // North Dakota Law Review. – 2009. – Vol. 85, No. 597. – P. 597–622.
20. Vishnevsky, S. Potential Capabilitys of Radiotechnical Troops Radars to Detect Operational-Tactical and Tactical
Unmanned Air Vehicle (in Ukrainian). Science and
Technology of the Air Force ofUkraine, 2017, Vol. 2, № 27, p. 92-98.
21. Harman S. A. Applications of Staring Surveillance Radars / Harman S. A., Hume A. L. // Proceedings of IEEE International Radar Conference. –ArlingtonVA:USA, 2015. – P. 270–273.
22. Hindle P. Drone Detection and Location Systems. [Електронний ресурс] / P. Hindle // Microwave journal, 2017. Режим доступу: http://www.microwavejournal. com/articles/28459-drone-detection-and-location-systems.
23. Sedyshev, Yu. and Dudush, A. Evaluation of the Impact of the Time Synchronization Accuracy of Multistatic Radar Positions on Errors in Determining the Spatial Coordinates of Aerial Objects. Radioelectronics and Communications Systems, 2013, vol. 56, no.4, p. 178-185.
24. Warnke H. W. Reconnaissance of LSS-UAS with Focus on EO-Sensors / H. W. Warnke // NATO Military Sensing STO Meeting Proceedings (STO-MP-SET-241). –Canada: STO, 2017. – P. 9-3-1–9-3-18.
25. Baker I. Detector and Camera Technologies for 3D Active Infrared Imaging /I. Baker, K. Storie // NATO Military Sensing RTO Meeting Proceedings (RTO-MP-SET-130). –Orlando: RTO, 2008. – P. 26-1–26-10.
26. Kerns A. J. Unmanned aircraft capture and control via GPS spoofing / A. J. Kerns, D. P. Shepard, J. A. Bhatti // Journal of Field Robotics. – 2014. – Vol. 31, № 4. – P. 617–636.
27. Oerlikon Ahead Air Burst Technology: Air Burst Munition (ABM) [Електронний ресурс]. Режим доступу: http://en.calameo.com/books/ 005068186ce3abb3008f7.
28. Pudo D. High Energy Laser Weapon Systems: Evolution, Analysis and Perspectives / D. Pudo, J. Galuga // Canadian Military Journal. – 2017. – Vol. 17, № 3. – P. 53–60.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
4. Personal data and metadata contained in articles are available for storage and processing in various databases and information systems, including them in analytical and statistical reports, creating reasonable relationships of scientific , literary and art objects with personal data, etc. on an area which is not limited.